Did you know SOLIDWORKS EPDM has the capability to create new folders and folder structures? With this feature, users can organize any project or product line into specific folders. By following the six steps below, you will never lose an important file again.
To start, an administrator must create the template in the EPDM Administration Tool. This is done by right clicking on the templates node and selecting “New Template."
This will open the 6 step template wizard:
- Assign a name for the folder structure or file that will appear in a right-click menu inside Windows Explorer.
- Assign whose permissions are to be used when executing the template.
- Select a template card to gather information during the creation of the folder(s) or file(s), if desired. If a template card is selected, correlate the variables on the template card to the template variables so that the information can be carried over to the file/folder cards.
Template variables are set up by clicking the “Template Variables” icon and are used as a clipboard to transfer information automatically generated in the template or from the template card.
As an example, we can have the template utilize a serial number that is already set up for the part number which will be used to name the file that is generated.
- Tell the system where to create the folder structure or where to place the created file. If the file needs to be placed in a certain folder every time, a new root folder can be created in order to place the file in the same location each time the template is ran.
For a file template, add the template for the file by selecting the new file icon.
The file name can be associated to a template variable as shown below.
- Select the icon to show next to the template name in the right-click menu in Explorer.
- Select which user and/or groups that can run the template.
The template can now be ran from the Windows Explorer EPDM Vault View from a right-click menu.
For a file template, the file card for the respective file extension will show if the option was selected in the template wizard.
The file is now ready to be opened and modified. For folder templates, the folders are ready to be created and added into the file structure for complete organizational efficiency.
Want to learn more SOLIDWORKS PDM functions? Sign up for one of our SOLIDWORKS PDM Basic Admin, Advanced Admin or End User training classes.