Makers, hobbyists and DIY’ers everywhere are excited about 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers. Gaining access to cloud-connected Computer-Aided Design (CAD) modeling tools allows you to design, create and share your ideas with others from anywhere. A lot of engineers have hobbies that this tool can greatly enhance at the minimal cost of $99 per year. From deck building to robot competitions, this may just be what you're looking for to up your design game! And if you are a hobbyist that wants to get into CAD professionally, this also gives you a leg-up with the ability to open all standard part files that SOLIDWORKS certification courses require.
What the Platform Includes
Here’s what you get to help you make cool stuff:
- 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Professional, the standard for professional CAD users (installs locally and requires Windows 10)
- 3D Creator and 3D Sculptor, the next generation of design tools that are online, browser-based, and built for collaboration
- Access to an expanded professional ecosystem to rapidly prototype your parts or receive engineering services via the 3DEXPERIENCE Marketplace
- No need to start from scratch—connect with other makers and customize shared models
- An active online community of 6 million+ to connect with worldwide makers from fab labs, maker spaces, influencers – all ready to share their designs, ideas, and expertise.
If you love working with your peers on your projects, you will notice in the list you can connect with other makers. Connecting with fellow makers across the world to make your vision a reality is easy with 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers.
While 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Makers includes important tools for design, there are a few limitations to be aware of:
- Does not support 3rd party add-in, CAM, Simulation
- Files saved in the Maker version are marked specifically for the Maker version and cannot be opened by any other version of SOLIDWORKS
- Meant for personal projects and non-commercial use, users may sell items for profit not exceeding $2,000
- Cannot install the commercial or student version of the same year as your Maker version on the same computer
- The 3D modeling functionality may not work with complex designs using standard video cards. Review hardware requirements here.
A few things to note prior to installation:
- Must use the link sent to you via email after registration to log into the account and you must save that link for logging into your Maker account every time
- 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS (SOLIDWORKS Connected) requires a download and installation onto your computer with Windows® 10 operating system
- 3D Creator (xDesign) and 3D Sculptor (xShape) are completely online and do not require any installation on your computer
SOLIDWORKS has really stepped up their game by increasing accessibility of the professional SOLIDWORKS toolset for use at home by 3D printing enthusiasts and hobbyists at an affordable price.
Watch below for an example of how maker Brad Thompson of Impact Props uses SOLIDWORKS Maker to create incredible things.